"Our geothermal swimming pools - ┴rbŠjarlaug." Top 5 Page for this destination ReykjavÝk Things to Do Tip by Regina1965

ReykjavÝk Things to Do: 623 reviews and 2,054 photos

┴rbŠjarlaug-the inside pool.

• Árbæjarlaug-the inside pool. - Reykjavík
      ┴rbŠjarlaug-the inside pool.
  • Árbæjarlaug - entrance to the swimming pool. - Reykjavík
      ┴rbŠjarlaug - entrance to the swimming pool.
  • Árbæjarlaug swimming pool. - Reykjavík
      ┴rbŠjarlaug swimming pool.
  • It is located in the beautiful Elliðaárdalur. - Reykjavík
      It is located in the beautiful Elli­aßrdalur.
    by Regina1965

┴rbŠjarlaug - swimming-pool is my favourite swimming pool in ReykjavÝk with a fantastic view of Elli­aßrdalur and the city. All the swimming pools in ReykjavÝk have geothermal water and are frequented a LOT by us Icelanders. Mostly we just sit in the hot-tubs though ;) A lot of people frequent them before going to work in the morning, sit in the hot-tubs and exchange news and ideas. In the Great-ReykjavÝk-area there are ca 10 geothermal swimming pools, one is 5 minutes' away from my condo, but I still always frequent ┴rbŠjarlaug. It is in the suburb of ┴rbŠr, a 15 minutes' drive from the city-center. It has got the best Jacuzzi in the city, an indoor and outdoor pool, a childrens' pool with 2 small waterfalls and Jacuzzi seats, 3 hot-tubs with different temperatures and a steam-bath.

Note that before entering the pool you have to shower, and don't worry nobody gives you a second glance, we are so used to this, as we have all frequented the swimming pools since we were toddlers. The people working at the swimming pools are very strict on the showering thing. Even so that once when I went to a swimming pool in H÷fn in Hornafj÷r­ur I was only going to sit for a while in the hot-tub and didn't wash my hair. I was thrown into the showers again ;)

The opening hours are:

Mondays-Thursdays: 6:30-22:00
Fridays: 06:30-20:00
Saturdays: 09:00-17:00
Sundays: 11:00-19:00

Admission fee: ISK 550 for adults.

The opening hours were just changed (April 2011) due to the crisis here in Iceland. It used to be open longer. There are now different opening hours for different swimming pools, making it difficult to follow. F.ex. Laugardalslaug is open until 22:00 every day.

I added a very cool website about swimming pools in ReykjavÝk.

And here is a a 360░ view of the pool

Here is an "interesting" article about washing yourself in the swimming pool a tourist┤s view of washing in the nude before going into the swimming pool

Address: Fylkisvegur, 110 ReykjavÝk
Directions: Take bus nr. 19 from Hlemmur which takes you straight to ┴rbŠjarlaug.
Phone: 4115200
Website: http://www.swimminginiceland.com/

• Updated Jul 3, 2013

• kaloz's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2016 at 5:08 AM

Definitely on my list. StrŠtˇ does not list a #19 Bus. They recommend the #5 and a short walk down Fylkisvegur.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Sep 3, 2016 at 6:56 AM

Yes, my tips are getting outdated, as bus 19 doesn't exist any more. Must update these tips next winter as so much has changed here lately.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2015 at 1:23 AM

This looks so nice!

• smartlash's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Our goal is to go to every pool in the city. T
    Our goal is to go to every pool in the city. This one looks awesome!

• smartlash's Profile Photo
      Jul 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Sundholl was ok. Rooftop soaking, but it was cold and cloudy, water was warm and lots of friendly locals to chat with while soaking. We attended mass and was impressed with the organ music and choir........after pools we headed for the flea market and bought some goodies and seafood.......rain held out till we returned to apt. Perfect timing!!! We took a long nap after lunch, that water and walking knocks us out. Can you and Ana come over tuesday night? Our friends from UK and Moscow will be here.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
      Jul 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

What a lovely day you had in spite of the rain. Do not know yet for how long our trip on Tuesday lasts, but will join you after the trip. Will let you know on Tuesday when I find out about the duration of the trip. One of my friends, another Helga, wants to come visit you on Tuesday as well :)

Regina1965

“Bon Voyage :)”

Have you been to ReykjavÝk?