" How to get to the Great Meteoron" Top 5 Page for this destination Getting Around Tip by Kuznetsov_Sergey
Getting Around, Meteora: 6 reviews and 9 photos
Access to the monasteries was originally extremely difficult, requiring either long ladders lashed together or large nets used to haul up both goods and humans.
There are still examples of these baskets which are used for bringing up provisions. Back in the days when these baskets were the only way to get to the monasteries a nervous pilgrim asked his monk host if they ever replace the rope. "Of course we do" he replied. "Whenever it breaks", which I am sure put the guy at ease.
Access to the monastery was by rope and net and we can see it still hanging from the vrizonitower; today it is still in use not only for supplies, but for tourists. The mechanism is electric. There is also a bucket on a cable slung across the chasm also used for supplies.
More Transportation in Meteora (3)
More Reviews (42)
- See All Northern Greece in Moscow
- Avoid falling into the precipice!
- Agia Triada in For Your Eyes Only film
- Climbing in Meteora
- Appropriate Clothes in Monasteries
- See All Shopping in Meteora
- VT-database of destinations in Greece
- Kalambaka Rocks Illumination
- See All Pleasant supper after visiting Meteora
- Pleasant stay before (after) visiting...
- See All Kastraki village
- See All Meteora Geological Background
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Have you been to Meteora?Share Your Travels