" Katholikon in Roussanos" Top 5 Page for this destination Agia Varvara Rousanou Nunnery Tip by Kuznetsov_Sergey
Agia Varvara Rousanou Nunnery, Meteora: 16 reviews and 36 photos
The Katholikon is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ but honored to St. Barbara. The church is little and elegant. Because of the peculiarity of the rock the sanctuary looks to the north instead of looking to the east according to custom. It is in the Athonite type.
It belongs to the cruciform distyle type with a dome in the centre and two conches (for the chanters) on the right and on the left side. The dome is polygonal, it bears a single-lobed window on each side and it dominates due to its height. The narthex is covered by a vault and it is fully decorated with well maintained Byzantine frescoes.
You may watch my 2 min 35 sec VIDEO-Clip Meteora Roussanou out of my VT-Tube or Greece Meteora Roussanou out of my YouTube with Greek Orthodox Church music.
Address: Agia Varvara Rousanou Nunnery, Meteora 42200
Directions: 2,5km NE of Kastraki, 1,5km after Agios Nikolaos Anapafsas, 1,7km before Varlaam Monastery
More Reviews (26)
- See All Northern Greece in Moscow
- Avoid falling into the precipice!
- Agia Triada in For Your Eyes Only film
- Climbing in Meteora
- See All Food for monks by vrisoni
- Appropriate Clothes in Monasteries
- See All Shopping in Meteora
- VT-database of destinations in Greece
- Kalambaka Rocks Illumination
- See All Pleasant supper after visiting Meteora
- Pleasant stay before (after) visiting...
- See All Meteora Geological Background
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Have you been to Meteora?Share Your Travels