" Roussanou" Top 5 Page for this destination Agia Varvara Rousanou Nunnery Tip by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Agia Varvara Rousanou Nunnery, Meteora: 16 reviews and 36 photos

by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Roussanou Monastery was founded in 1545 by Joasaph and Maximos, two brothers who built it on the ruins of an even older church. It is possible that it was named after an old ascetic called Rousanos who had lived on the rock. According to another theory it was named after two Russian monks who built it. I like this theory best, ha-ha!

The Roussanou monastery is dedicated to the ?Transformation of the Christ? and also to St. Barbara. The church contains outstanding wall paintings, wood iconostasis, panel icons and icon stands.

The monastery covers the entire terrace of a long-narrow rock and it is accessed by several steps and two bridges. The rock, on the top of which the monastery is built, is vertical, steep and narrow. Visitors are impressed when they see it from a distance.

Working hours of Rousanou:
WINTER 9.00-13.00 & 15.00-17.00
SUMMER 9.00-13.00 & 15.00-17.45
CLOSED Wednsday (W)
Entrance fee 2?.

You may watch my high resolution photo of Kalambaka-Meteora on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 39 43' 51.43" N 21 39' 10.88" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Meteora - Roussanou .

You may watch my 2 min 38 sec VIDEO-Clip Meteora Roussanou Part I out of my VT-Tube or Greece Meteora Rousanou Monastery Part I out of my YouTube with Greek Orthodox Church music.

You may watch my 5 min 02 sec VIDEO-Clip Meteora Roussanou Slade-show out of my VT-Tube or Greece Meteora Rousanou Slide-show out of my YouTube with Greek Orthodox Church music.

Learn more kalampaka.com/en/meteora/monasteries_rousanou.

Address: Agia Varvara Rousanou Nunnery, Meteora 42200
Directions: 2,5km NE of Kastraki, 1,5km after Agios Nikolaos Anapafsas, 1,7km before Varlaam Monastery
Phone: +30 2432-022649
Website: http://www.roussanou.gr/

• Written Jun 9, 2008

Comments

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Have you been to Meteora?