La O: "Delicious, Excellent Value Prix Fixe Menu" Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Restaurant Tip by Jetgirly

Guadalajara Restaurants: 58 reviews and 53 photos

The people at my parent's hotel recommend Cocina 88, but as it is an Argentinean steak house we figured that it wouldn't satisfy the vegetarians in the family! Later, I learned that Cocina 88 has a sister restaurant called La O that is famous for its salad bar. I knew I had to check it out, so I went on a Saturday night with one of my friends.

La O is beautiful! It's located in an old mansion that has been converted into a restaurant. We ate on the patio and had hummingbirds buzzing nearby for most of the meal. We started with a bread basket full of fresh, homemade breads (the cheese bun and the thin, wafer-like wedge were the best) and our drinks, then looked over the menu. At La O, the menu is fixed-price. As of June 2008 the price was 145 pesos (about $14 US/CAD) and for an appetizer, the salad bar and a main dish. There are about fifteen appetizers and fifteen main dishes to choose from. I had the minestrone soup followed by fettucini alfredo (the only vegetarian main dish), and both were very good. The fettucini had a really good sauce that had just the right amount of sweetness to it, and the portion was just right to follow soup and salad.

The highlight, however, was the salad bar. The salad bar can be purchased alone for 65 pesos ($6.25 CAD/US) and is always changing. Salad "basics" are self-serve, while the more interesting bits and pieces are dished out by a server. I had a thai salad with beansprouts and red and yellow peppers, breaded and fried zucchini strips, grilled eggplant and tomato and tomato with fresh mozzarella, in addition to a green salad that I put together mysef and topped with fresh nuts, seeds and balsamic vinaigrette.

La O is my new top choice for dining in Guadalajara, and I hope to visit again before I leave at the end of the month. On Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights there is live jazz music from about 9:00 pm, so I might time my next visit to coincide with the entertainment.

Address: Calle Josť Guadalupe Zuno
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: On Calle Josť Guadalupe Zuno, two blocks east of Union. I haven't been able to find an exact address or phone number.
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Eclectic/International

• Written Jun 8, 2008

Jetgirly Used To Live Here!

“I've come to eat all of your fruits and vegetables.”

Have you been to Guadalajara?