Resort: "Castaway Isalnd Resort" Fiji Hotel Tip by lauriegab

Fiji Hotels: 182 reviews and 230 photos

View of Castaway Island Reort from the air.
by lauriegab

View of Castaway Island Reort from the air.
    by lauriegab
      This is were they set up for wedding ceremonies.
      View from our burre.
      Snorkeling
      Boxfish - my favorite!
    by lauriegab

We were at the Castaway Island Report for a week in March of 2006 for my Mom's wedding. She and my Stepdad had been there several times and since it was a second marriage for both of them, they opted for a "getaway" wedding. The resort is the only facility on the island. They have an all-inclusive plan that includes all meals (in the off season the prices are better) which worked out well for the 30 of us in attendance. Although the burres (huts) did not have air conditioning at the time we were there, A/C has since been added to most of the burres, which makes it a lot easier to sleep at night. Although they "smoke" the grounds twice a day to keep the mosquito population at bay, we still had bites. Best bet is to take extra doses of vitamin B complex for about 1 month prior to and during your stay and then use a good mosquito repellant. The snorkeling at nearby Honeymoon Island was some of the best ever. Unfortunately, it was recently purchased by a private party and you can no longer snorkel there. Not to worry, though. It is Fiji after all and there is plenty of snorkeling to be done elsewhere. The folks at Castaway were so friendly. They have all sorts of activities available - try the high speed boat trip to the neighboring islands & wild dolphin area. My sister did the parasailing. I liked the kayaking. You can walk all the way around the island at low tide. They do have a swimming pool and childrens activiites. There is no TV and no radio. There are no phones in the rooms. The only internet access is in their office. Castaway is a relaxed and informal island resort where bare feet and sulus are the norm throughout the day and evening. You really feel like you are "away from it all".

If you want to help improve the image of the "Ugly American", bring school supplies and/or anything else you think children might find useful/beneficial in a school setting as donations for the nearby school. The school does a good job with what they have, but they can always use more. Instead of gifts, for my Mom's wedding, each of the guests brought a box of school supplies, soccer balls/air pumps, flip/flops in various colors, arts/crafts supplies etc. The smiles on the faces of the children made the extra effort worthwhile. My Mom and Stepdad have gone back every year on their anniversary and plan on doing so for as long as they can. (Mom turns 70 next year!) When they go back now, they say it's like visiting family - the people are so warm and welcoming. I'll be going back next year myself!

Unique Qualities: The pictures say it all!

Address: Castaway Island, Fiji
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: It is in the Mamanuca Island chain, on the ferry route from Nadi.
othercontact: From North America: (800) 733-21
Phone: In Fiji: (679) 666 1233
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Other
Website: http://www.castawayisland.com/main.shtml

• Updated Jun 7, 2008

Comments

lauriegab's Related Pages

lauriegab

“Let's Go!”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.