"Mountain trolley bus - Turmbergbahn Durlach" Durlach Tip by ATLC

Durlach, Karlsruhe: 22 reviews and 79 photos

by ATLC

Durlach is a suburb of Karlsruhe, where actually the Grand Duke of Baden originally held court. There's a mountain there which still has the oldest trolley in Germany. The name is Standseilbahn but I need a good translation for that! Tripack, globetrott and catnl accompanied me and we first had a fun ride in my car where my Austrian GPS (read: globetrott) was sometimes contradicted by the Swiss software (read: Tripack). catnl wisely held her tongue :-)
Anyway, with my 3-Day Welcome Card for public transportation, it meant I had a free ride on the Standseilbahn, very steep up the mountain. Up there we had a great view over Karlsruhe. If it had been clear weather, it would have been even better.

Address: Bergbahnstrasse, 76227 Karlsruhe-Durlach
Directions: Take a tram direction Wolfartsweier Nord or Durlach Turmberg and get off at KA-Durlach station. Then change to liine 1 or 8 direction Durlach Turmberg. Or walk from the station, the Durlach town is delightful!

• Updated Jun 3, 2008

Comments

ATLC

“The notion that the world is round makes me feel quite giddy! (quote Miss Matty, Cranford)”

Have you been to Karlsruhe?