Karavella: "Czech in Old Town" Karavella Tip by Dabs

by Dabs
      Pork with cheese sauce
    by Dabs
  • Czech in Old Town - Prague

We headed to this place because of the review in the online In Your Pocket guide saying they served "Enormous portions of excellent Czech-style dishes for a couple of doubloons", I notice that it is now missing from the current edition.

The food was actually pretty good here, what bothered me was that on my 1st night in Prague we got hit with a charge for the bread they put on the table, 12kc each, and then the waiter came over and added on a 15% service fee "if we thought the service was good". What the heck are you supposed to say to that???? The only 2 places that this happened on this trip were both in Old Town in Prague and I imagine used to doing that to tourists. Karavella was located on a quiet street in the old town section so I really hadn't thought it would be a tourist trap.

We sat at the front of the restaurant which was open air but covered, apparently there is also a nautical themed bar in the cellar.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the pork with cheese sauce and a side order of french fries (166kc + 25kc), the sauce was very good and the pork tender. David tried to order the goulash but was told it was only for lunch and was steered towards a more expensive platter (209kc) with duck, ham, sausage and two types of dumplings.

So a 4 for the food and a 2 for the perfectly pleasant server who gave us the tourist treatment.

Address: Michalska Ulice 15
Price Comparison: about average
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: Local
Website: http://restaurace.mraveniste.cz/cs/restaurace.php?id=3272

• Updated Jun 8, 2008

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Prague?