"Areas to Avoid : Tenderloin District" Areas to Avoid Tip by hawksman

Areas to Avoid, San Francisco: 96 reviews and 24 photos

My wife and I got off the trolley and walked a few blocks apparently in the wrong direction to see a particular hotel. We knew we were only within a few blocks of Market St and probably 4 blocks from our hotel. The neighborhood changed literally within a block. It was broad daylight out, around 4pm and a man walking towards us threw a bottle of booze at us and it almost hit my wife and smashed on the ground near us. I obviously was shocked and I looked at the guy with a "wtf" look on my face and he immediately stopped and started cursing at me. He still had another bottle in his hand and I quickly looked around and realized if I retaliated, there was a good chance I wasn't getting out of there in good shape, considering we were the only 2 white people on the street, and the apparently the only two people with any money. So I decided against trying to beat up the guy who just threw a bottle towards my pregnant wife and we tried to cross the street but he followed us, yelling and cursing and calling me a punk and telling us to get off his street. We got across the street with him breathing down my neck and he finally stopped and starting walking up a different street, still yelling at me. The nerve of me looking at him after he threw a bottle at us.

Other than that incident, we've been here for 3 days and have not had any other issues. There are a lot of homeless around and many of them asking for money, but none of them have been threatening at all. I'm from Philly so I'm used to homeless but I didn't know about that neighborhood or where it was. I should've checked this site sooner. So definitely avoid that area, we were basically at Taylor and Eddy Street. But Fisherman's Wharf and Noth Beach seem to be very safe. We're going to a Giants game tonight and taking a cab just to be safe, that kind of shook us up a bit.

Address: San Francisco

• Written May 30, 2008

Ranked Member

Have you been to San Francisco?