"Shopping anyone!!!!!!" Shopping Tip by sirgaw
Shopping, Hong Kong: 42 reviews and 45 photos
For many years Hong Kong has been known as shoppers paradise and there seems to be more shops per thousand people than anywhere else in the world - as a result its VERY competitive and perhaps intimidating for some.
Most shops - and particularly the smaller ones - will engage in age-old bargaining and there are no rules, so buyer beware. If you do not bargain the shop keeper/salesperson will take you for almost every cent they can.
If you haven't bargained for goods before, then here are a few ideas:
1. Offer one third and see what happens - a third to half off should be correct price.
2. If salesperson refuses to go any further down then you have reached rock bottom price - either buy at last price, or as a last resort walk out of the shop. If salesperson does not follow you out the door then all you've lost is time spent on negotiations.
3. Have an idea of cost of items at home or even duty free, item may be cheaper at home.
4. Watch out for fakes. Most known brands are copied and sold to the unsuspecting.
5. International guarantees may not be worth the paper they're printed on.
6. Avoid paying for items by credit card - the account will come back and haunt you.
Have fun, but don't spend too much.
Address: Anywhere and everywhere
More Reviews (6)
sirgaw's Related Pages
Have you been to Hong Kong?Share Your Travels