"Cooking on rocks at Sunset" Khett Siem Reab Things to Do Tip by Eggboy

Khett Siem Reab Things to Do: 559 reviews and 1,380 photos

Can I suggest that the walk up Phnom Bakaeng (just near Angkor Thom) to watch the sunset is not really worth the effort. We basically sat on the sandstone structure of the ruined hill-top temple, amongst around 1000+ other tourists, and cooked our tuchus's (butts) while waiting for the sun to set. The cloud cover did not help the experience as the sun was not to be seen setting in the west. I suggested to my guide that we should bail out as I felt it would rain. The guide said that it would not rain but as I was the customer he agreed with my suggestion to leave. We left and just as we got to the car, the heavens opened. (Melbournians can sense rain from 50 miles!) I briefly thought of the throng of tourist who had to make there way back top their transport on a dirty muddy tack in the dark and rain, I suggest they have a few war stories to tell their relatives about the experience.

I will say that the view was great from the top of the hill but you could do it any time of the day to avoid the hordes of tourists that flock there at sundown.

• Written May 30, 2008

Comments

Eggboy Visits Here Frequently!

Eggboy

“The world is home”

Have you been to Khett Siem Reab?