Galileo's Locanda Toscana: "Galileo's Locanda Toscana" Assaggetti Tip by Gypsystravels

Assaggetti, London: 8 reviews and 25 photos

Gnocchi with meat sauce
      Gnocchi with meat sauce
      Outside of the restaurant
    by Gypsystravels
      Bread basket with black olives and olive oil
    by Gypsystravels
      The inside of the restaurant
    by Gypsystravels

Just another okay meal here in London. I'm not sure why it's so difficult to find good simple and delicious meals these days.

I was walking around Piccadilly Circus and thought it was time I stop and get some dinner, especially since I was beginning to rain. I wasn't sure where to go and I happen to come upon this place. I had read some decent reviews here on vt so I thought I'd check it out.

The interior of the restaurant is quite nice. It's large and decorated with simple touches like the nice large chandelier hanging from the center of the restaurant of the universe. The restaurant itself is a nice size. There are plenty of tables on the main level with a bar area with more seating. There is also a lower level dinning area.

I decided to sit in the main dinning area near the windows facing the street. The waitress came over with the menu and took my drink order. She brought over a nice basket of bread with olive oil and some black olives as well as my glass of wine and took my order. I decided to try the gnocchi with meat sauce. A few minutes later she returned with my meal. The gnocchi was okaby, but the sauce was lacking any flavor could have used some spices or even a bit of salt. The sauce was watery and tasteless, so a bit of cheese actually did the job.

With plenty of other places to eat, I think I'd give this place a skip next time around.

There was nothing fantastic about the meal, not bad, just not great!

Favorite Dish: I ordered the gnoochi with meat sauce.

How difficult it is to make a simple dish as gnocchi? While the gnocchi was good, the sauce was too watery!! The sauce was tastless and watery with no substance whatsoever. I had to quite a bit of salt and cheese to make the meal tastier!

Address: 71 Haymarket
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Nearest Tube, Piccadilly Circus. Near Charles II St.
Phone: +44 20 7839 3939
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 3
Theme: Italian

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

Gypsystravels Visits Here Frequently!

“If You don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!”

Have you been to London?