"Studying Spanish in Madrid" Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Favorite Tip by Jefie

Madrid Favorites: 413 reviews and 449 photos

International House Language School in Madrid

International House Language School in Madrid
    by Jefie
      Let's celebrate Arturito's birthday!
    by Jefie
      The king of the night :o)
    by Jefie

Favorite thing: A few years ago, I decided to learn Spanish so that I would be able to travel to Spanish-speaking countries and communicate with the locals more easily. After going to language school and taking private courses, I felt I was ready to take on the next big step: going on a full-blown Spanish immersion! After doing some research about schools, cultural activities and so on, I decided to go Madrid's International House (http://www.ihmadrid.com) and chose to stay with a family to make the most out of the experience.

So about the school: there usually were between 6-10 students of all ages per class, coming from all around the world. My classes went from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm, and we'd usually start with some grammar (but in a non-boring way), followed by conversation. A lot of activities had to do with talking about our different countries' customs and traditions, so on top of learning about Spain, I also got to learn about my classmates' countries, and even about Canada! The school usually organized 3-4 activities every week for which you could sign up, there was a small cafeteria and some computers with free Internet access. The location was quite central, so usually I could just walk over to a museum/park/tapas bar after classes.

As for the family stay, I would highly recommend it. The family I lived with was incredibly nice, my little bedroom was super comfortable, food was great and, most of all, it really helped me experience what life in Spain is all about. I came back thinking about only one thing: how soon can I go back on a language immersion!? It truly is a great way to travel!!

Fondest memory: One of my fondest memories would have to be the night we celebrated the birthday of Arturito, the family's little boy. The entire family (aunts, uncles, cousins, grand-parents) came over, I got to chat with everyone, I even sang some karaoke with the girls (!), for a while I think I may have forgotten that I didn't actually live in Spain!

• Updated May 19, 2008

Comments

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Have you been to Madrid?