MIYAKO Japanese Restaurant: "Sizzling Specialities, Sushi and Sashimi" Top 5 Page for this destination Miyako - Hyatt Regency Hotel Tip by JessH

Miyako - Hyatt Regency Hotel, Dubai: 1 reviews and 3 photos

Turning up the heat, Teppanyaki, "Miyako" in Dubai

Turning up the heat, Teppanyaki, "Miyako" in Dubai
      Vegetables Teppanyaki style, Miyako Rest. Dubai
    by JessH
      Miyako Sushi Bar Hyatt Regency Dubai (website pic)
    by JessH

(Licensed - serves alcoholic beverages)

Miyako has been around for many years, and was renovated & refined to look more contemporary in the year 2005. It has bagged plenty of awards in the past, and I had always heard that it is said to be one of Dubai's best Japanese restaurants. I'm a great fan of sushi, but until now I hadn't ventured into a truly authentic Japanese restaurant.

At first, the sheer complexity of the preparation, ingredients and flavours can make one feel rather apprehensive, but the staff here are very knowledgeable and are glad to assist with the large menu.

We arrived early, and while we waited for the rest of our party to arrive we settled down and enjoyed a lovely plate of perfectly-cooked Edamame (soy beans). After ordering the first round of drinks for everyone, I looked around the restaurant and was elated to see that 80% of the patrons were Japanese! "Fantastic", I thought to myself, "this food must be good". And so it was...

There are 3 teppanyaki tables, each of which can seat up to 6 people (reservations are essential for these). The sushi bar is the centre piece of the restaurant, and there is even an authentic, private Tatami room (don't worry about your legs falling asleep; they've adapted the style and added a hole under the table for more comfortable seating ;-)

At our teppanyaki table we all settled for different types of the set menu, and after we had enjoyed our starter salads and soups our personal chef arrived with a huge basket full of wonderful ingredients! I really enjoy Teppanyaki and think it's a great concept: it lets you see the ingredients and ensure that they are all fresh and of the highest quality before the food is prepared right infront of your eyes.

Favorite Dish: The chef first prepared some deep-friend garlic slices on this sparkling-clean hot plate... I'd never tasted garlic like this before, and these crispy little chips were amazing.

My set menu consisted of mostly seafood and fish, and after I was served my perfectly-grilled slices of fish and also lobster tail, scallops and prawn, I enjoyed what must have been the best crab-fried rice that I've ever eaten! Each and everyone in our party of 6 loved their respective set menus, and the chef was glad to answer questions about the preparation method, and never failed to ask how someone would like their dish prepared.

Set menu prices are between 120 and 240 Dirhams, with vegetarian or fish or meat-lovers and also mixed options. The lengthiness of the menu here has most novice diners opting for these set menus, which are also excellent choices if you want a little of everything.
A menu consists of starters, 3 dishes as a main course, your choice of rice or noodles, and a very interesting and refreshing green tea ice cream or fruit selection for dessert.

I absolutely loved this restaurant, and albeit pricey, I believe the food and service are definitely worth it for a special night out.

Opening Hours:
Open daily for lunch 12:30 - 03:00pm.
Open daily for dinner: 07:00pm - midnight.

NOTE: This is a no-smoking restaurant.

TIP: Traffic is notoriously bad in this part of town, so it's best to visit this restaurant on a weekend when there's no rush-hour traffic (Friday or Saturday).

Address: Lobby Level, Hyatt Regency Hotel, Dubai.
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Deira/Naif area, near the Gold Souk.
Phone: +971-4-209 1234
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: Japanese/Sushi
Website: http://dubai.regency.hyatt.com

• Updated Aug 18, 2008

Comments

JessH Lives Here!

JessH

“I've packed my bags, I'm ready to go... ... ...”

Have you been to Dubai?