"Glen:Brandon Peak" Top 5 Page for this destination County Kerry Off The Beaten Path Tip by Ekaterinburg

County Kerry Off The Beaten Path: 34 reviews and 72 photos

Brandon Peak with waterfalls
      Brandon Peak with waterfalls
      Brandon Peak, behind lough Avoonane
    by Ekaterinburg

The mountain directly behind my grandmother's house is called Brandon Peak. This should not be confused with Mount Brandon, the second highest mountain in Ireland which is about two miles away. Above Glen different mountain peaks soar, the highest being Drom Na Muiche and Brandon Peak. You can climb Brandon Peak from behind Lough Avoonane. The first stage is a steep grassy slope then a series of ledges, rock faces and much huffing and puffing towards the top. I should say here that I am not a mountain climber but it can't be too difficult a climb because I did it ( once) at the age of 12, with my brother, sister and cousin. Looking at it now, I can't imagine a group of children, unsupervised up here but those were different times. There have been tragedies though and one of my cousins once found a body while he was checking his sheep. If you decide to climb all or part of it you will be rewarded by panoramic vistas in all directions and a massive sense of accomplishment. I should also point out that when I climbed it , it was with my cousin who knew the whole area like the back of his hand and I wouldn't advise doing it unless you are a professional.

Website: http://www.discoverireland.ie/kerry

• Written May 17, 2008

Ekaterinburg Was Born Here!

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Have you been to County Kerry?