"Finally became a 'victim'" Pickpockets Tip by danmcf

Pickpockets, Amsterdam: 86 reviews and 37 photos

After 7 trips to Amsterdam, & several other European cities as well, I finally got pickpocketed.

It happened Queens Night, while boarding an extremely crowded Tram from the Dam to Leidseplein. I distinctly felt a hand enter my right front pocket, and just as rapidly leave. I immediately announced that I had just been pickpocketed, but that the jerk will be disappointed because all he got was a useless (to him) hotel keycard. He didn't bother with the coffeeshop product in the same pocket though. He evidently thought he was getting a credit card of some sort.

You've gotta' be smarter than the pickpockets though. He could have emptied any of my pants pockets and still would have come up with nothing. When traveling in these type situations I where a pocketed T-shirt (for my wallet; which, on this day, also included an extra hotel keycard) under an overshirt; & a moneybelt for other valuable necessities (passport, extra cards, cash, etc). I also choose coats & jackets with internal pockets.

I'd suggest you do something similar.

Address: Amsterdam

• Updated May 16, 2008

danmcf Visits Here Frequently!

“You might say I've been traveling since day 1.”

Have you been to Amsterdam?