Esplanade Hotel Fremantle: "No sleep required" Perth Hotel Tip by hirdy05

Perth Hotels: 229 reviews and 272 photos

"Location, location, location!" goes the mantra. Upon arrival at the Esplanade hotel in Fremantle, this certainly seems to be the case. It is a beautiful looking hotel within walking distance of all the important tourist bits (Freo market, foreshore, cafe/restaurant strip).

Upon entering our Superior room, my wife and I were impressed by the very large and comfortable bed, the nice bathroom and the balcony overlooking the Fremantle foreshore. Unfortunately, that is all that was good about this place.

The first major rip-off of our stay was the lack of free parking for guests. With no other place to park we were slugged $25 per day for valet parking. This and the unreasonable $30 per day internet charge seem a bit steep for an alleged 4 star hotel.

The biggest issue we faced was the complete lack of sound proofing in the rooms. This was amply demonstrated on the Friday night when we could here every single drunk person who happened to walk down the street (and there were a lot!). Come on guys, sound proof the windows!! At least this was better than the other people who we travelled with who awoke to a fight between two men at 3am.

The next night was even worse. There was a wedding reception in the hotel and we just happened to have the room next to it! If having the loud music stop you trying to get to sleep was bad, having the drunken guests congregate a few feet outside your door and talking was worse. To add insult to injury, having the night staff clean the reception room with vacuums and shouting at 2 am was the icing on the cake. This level of noise is unbecoming a hotel that claims to be a 4 star hotel, particularly when we did not even have the cheapest possible room but the next level up!!

The final straw was our last night when my wife and I got stuck in the elevator. After pressing the emergency contact button and getting a recorded message "...your call has been noted" I finally forced open the doors and we climbed out. When I reported this to the duty staff, their indifference was strangely infuriating.

In summary, if you are travelling to Fremantle and want to be located near all the good bits, do not mind having no sleep and do not have a car or laptop, then this might be the place for you! Otherwise please do yourself a favour and find somewhere else. We will be doing that the next time we are in Fremantle!!

Address: CNR Marine Terrace & Essex Street Fremantle WA 616
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$120-180
Theme: Hotel

• Written May 12, 2008

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.