"Uluwatu Temple Warning" Indonesia Warnings Or Dangers Tip by tiamsanit

Indonesia Warnings and Dangers: 111 reviews and 72 photos

The monkeys at Uluwatu Temple are very dangerous. In fact, they are trained to steal valuable things such as eyeglasses, camera pouch, earing, etc... (they won't steal your hat or sarong or scarf, because they're cheap) from tourist when they are busy taking picture. After you lost your thing, in my case, eyeglasses, suddenly the old man behind said "chuu!!!" and throw a bag of food to the monkey. The monkey drop my eyeglasses and grab the food. The old man climb the wall to pick the eyeglasses for me but not found, and pretending to look around the cliff, sound like they were thrown away down to the cliff. In fact, the monkey just drop my eyeglasses right near to the wall. (All these were for making you very worried and incresing price for the picking!) Finally he found it and bring it back to me in badly state. That damn creature bite my eyeglasses and scratch the lens. I was very angry and even outraged when he beg for money. DO NOT HAND THEM ANY PENNY! They are trained the monkeys to do this dirty tricks and when they found their victim, they signal the monkey to do the job. This was confirmed by local peoples and my friend who experienced the same.

If you get into the temple and saw old man, old women or any suspicious guys, stay away from them! They are family and work together. And be very careful at the monkeys, try not to go on the left side (when enter the temple), there are a lot of them on that side and for sure the dirty guy always sits there!

• Updated May 12, 2008

tiamsanit's Related Pages

Ranked Member

Have you been to Indonesia?