"Experiencing the Baths" Hungary Things to Do Tip by DueSer

Gellerts exterior

Gellerts exterior
      Gellerts lobby
    by DueSer

A lot of people want to experience the baths while in Hungary. If you are in Budapest and want to go to Gellert's, as this is a very famous place to experience the baths, be CAREFUL! Their price list is confusing and not all the people working at the ticket booths understand English even though they say they do. I was in a TERRIBLE fix and almost lost out on a lot of money simply because the woman in the ticket booth said she spoke English and then didn't understand a word I said. She charged me for 2 people because there was a man in line behind me even though I'd asked for "a swimming ticket and one towel" and I asked for a "locker" and she had charged for me a cabin, which is much more expensive. And to "fix" things, she wanted to give me cash back instead of crediting my card. This might have not been a problem if I wasn't leaving Hungary the next morning but I was so there was no way I could spend all the money she wanted to give back to me but she refused to credit my card. She claimed it was impossible but of course it was totally possible and after I raised a fuss she did credit my card. She then refused to ring me up correctly and when I tried to get some help, another woman who seemed to be in charge of checking people in, was very patronizing. The whole experience soured me on Gellert's so much that I left before swimming because it just didn't seem worth the effort I'd already gone through, let alone any problems that might be in store for me beyond the entrance gate.

That said, it is an historic place and the lobby was very pretty but there were signs of its age. Despite my bad experience, the overwhelming impression I got from Gellerts was that this is a place that is way past its heyday. It might be okay to visit but, for the money, I'm sure you could find a more modern place to experience the Hungarian baths.

Address: Szent Gellért tér 1, 1111 Budapest, Hungary
Directions: Just over the big green bridge from the Kozponti Vasarcsarnok (Great Market).

• Updated Mar 14, 2009

Comments

DueSer Visits Here Frequently!

DueSer

“The most beautiful thing in the world is the world itself.”

Have you been to Hungary?