Rubin House Restaurant: "Large restaurant with extensive menu" Bucharest Restaurant Tip by SWFC_Fan

Bucharest Restaurants: 206 reviews and 323 photos

Rubin House Restaurant interior
      BBQ ribs and baked potato at Rubin House
      Ursus beer at Rubin House
    by SWFC_Fan

My friend and I ate at Rubin House one evening during our visit to Bucharest in March 2008.

This large restaurant, with an extensive and varied menu, is located on Strada Mavrogheni ? just off Bulevardul I C Bratianu, between the squares of Piata Unirii and Piata Universitatii, closer to the latter.

The restaurant?s large dining area contains dozens of elaborately set tables, including several large tables that could seat between 20 and 30 people ? making it an ideal venue for functions and parties. Reservations can be made via the restaurant?s website here: Rubin House reservations.

A full online menu can also be found on their website: Rubin House menu - as with the menus at the restaurant itself, all dishes are translated into English.

The restaurant offers a good selection of dishes, but we found prices to be somewhat higher than anywhere else that we ate in Bucharest. For example, a seafood salad will set you back 32 Lei (approx. 6.50 GBP / 13 USD), grilled swordfish with tarragon costs 36 Lei (approx 7.20 GBP / 14.50 USD) and a portion of Tiramisu is priced at 11 Lei (approx. 2.20 GBP / 4.50 USD). You will find a large selection of pasta dishes, pork, beef and chicken dishes, salads and desserts.

That said, prices are still very reasonable in comparison to those in the UK and much of western Europe. It is just that they are fairly expensive compared to many other places in Bucharest.

I feel a little guilty giving this restaurant a poor score of 2/5 ? it?s a nice set up, offers a warm and comfortable dining area and a menu that caters for all tastes. However, the quality of my meal (which, for me at least, is the most important criteria by which to rate a restaurant), dictates that I only rate Rubin House with a 2.

It is only fair that I point out that we arrived there quite late in the evening, the restaurant had clearly served lots of guests throughout the day and the kitchens were soon to be closed for the night. Only a dozen or so other diners remained at the time of our visit. I scrutinized the menu and saw one dish that really caught my eye: Shrimps Flambé cu Sos de Chilli / Flambéed Shrimps in Chilli Sauce. I decided to splash out the 35 Lei (7 GBP / 14 USD) for a dish that I was sure I would enjoy. The waitress took our order and disappeared into the kitchen. A few minutes later she returned to say that it would not be possible for the chef to cook the shrimps at this late hour, but suggested a few other dishes that I might like to try?and that the chef would presumably be willing to cook!

I took another look at the menu and opted for:

Coaste de Porc cu Sos BBQ / Pork Ribs with BBQ Sauce - Price: 21.70 Lei / 4.50 GBP / 9 USD

A handful of pork ribs, served with a baked potato (topped with sour cream and bacon bits), fried onions and assorted green vegetables.

In truth, it was a real disappointment. The meat on the ribs was poor ? too much fat, and very hard to chew. Where the meat wasn?t so fatty, it looked undercooked. It was difficult to find any meat that was worth attempting to eat. I picked at it for a while, but left the majority of it.

The accompanying baked potato was overcooked, and the only part of the meal that I enjoyed was the fried onions and vegetables which were very tasty.

A couple of bottles of Ursus beer - Price: 5 Lei / 1 GBP / 2 USD per 500ml bottle

A large restaurant with an extensive choice of dishes and a spacious and welcoming dining room. My meal was pretty poor ? but perhaps I was there at the wrong time.

Address: Strada Mavrogheni nr. 4
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Located on Strada Mavrogheni ? just off Bulevardul I C Bratianu, a few minutes walk from Piata Universitatii.
Phone: +40 (0)21 310 41 30
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 2
Theme: Eclectic/International
Website: http://www.rubinhouse.ro/

• Written May 5, 2008

Comments

SWFC_Fan

“Next stops: Chile (November), Cluj-Napoca (December)”

Have you been to Bucharest?