Hotel Bel-Air: "Afternoon tea in Bel-Air" Top 5 Page for this destination Hotel Bel-Air Tip by Dabs

Hotel Bel-Air, Los Angeles: 2 reviews and 4 photos

Outdoor patio

Outdoor patio
    by Dabs
      Pastry tray minus a few pastries
      Hotel Bel-Air
      Hotel Bel-Air
    by Dabs

My grandma is approaching 100 years old and it's a bit of a challenge for me to find things to do with her in the Los Angeles area but one of the things she seems to enjoy is going out for afternoon tea. I've taken her to the Beverly Wilshire (no longer serving) and to the Huntington Gardens, this time we tried the Hotel Bel-Air on the suggestion of a local.

The atmosphere at the Hotel Bel-Air is lovely yet not at all snooty, when I called to make reservations they said it would be fine for my dad to join us wearing blue jeans or even shorts since it was early in the day. We got a reservation for 3pm on a Monday but it wouldn't have been necessary as there were very few people there. However, I do think it got us a nicer table on the outdoor patio, one of the few semi circular tables overlooking the gardens with large comfy pillows. The foliage doesn't allow for a view of the swans but you can have a look before or after tea. Even though it was in the 90s that day, it was still comfortable being outside under the shade of the table umbrella.

Favorite Dish: Was the afternoon tea worth the eye popping $48 price tag? Well, not for the food or tea as it was pretty standard fare. In addition to your choice of 5 different kinds of tea, they serve a selection of finger sandwiches (one with salmon and caviar, one with egg salad, one with cucumbers and one with chicken salad) followed by a pastry tray with scones, Devonshire cream and lemon curd, 3 different types of cookies, a chocolate dipped strawberry and a small selection of tiny pastries (I think there were 2 each). There is also complimentary champagne served with the tea but I didn't want to drink too much of that and try to negotiate the curves on Sunset Blvd. on the way home!

None of the food was above average which was a bit of a disappointment but all in all it was a lovely afternoon for grandma so that was worth the cost. My dad came along and didn't have the tea but instead had one martini, the tab for that was almost $20!!!!

Address: 701 Stone Canyon Road
Comparison: most expensive
Directions: From Sunset Blvd. turn onto Stone Canyon going north, it's about 1-2 miles up the street and well marked. Parking is by valet, no charge except for whatever tip you want to leave
Phone: 310.472-5234
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 3
Theme: Other
Website: http://www.hotelbelair.com/wine_dine/afternoon_tea/

Review Helpfulness: 2 out of 5 stars

• Updated May 4, 2008

Comments

Dabs Used To Live Here!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Los Angeles?