"Decoration in upper chapel - Decoración" Sainte-Chapelle Tip by spanishguy

Sainte-Chapelle, Paris: 145 reviews and 357 photos

  Baldachin for the relics - Baldaquino de reliquias
by spanishguy
 
  • Baldachin for the relics - Baldaquino de reliquias - Paris
      Baldachin for the relics - Baldaquino de reliquias
    by spanishguy
  • Vaults - Bóvedas - Paris
      Vaults - Bóvedas
    by spanishguy
  • Main gate decoration - Decoración puerta principal - Paris
      Main gate decoration - Decoración puerta principal
    by spanishguy
  • Floor decoration - Decoración del suelo - Paris
      Floor decoration - Decoración del suelo
    by spanishguy
  • Apostle sculpture - Escultura apostol - Paris
      Apostle sculpture - Escultura apostol
    by spanishguy
 

As I said before, the Sainte Chapelle was built to house precious relics: mainly the Christ's crown of thorns, when it arrived from Venice in the hands of two Dominican friars. Unlike many devout aristocrats, who swiped relics, the saintly Louis bought his precious relics of the Passion, purchased from the Latin emperor at Constantinople, Baldwin II, for the exorbitant sum of 135,000 livres, which was paid to the Venetians, to whom it had been pawned. The entire chapel, by contrast, cost 40,000 livres to build. In 1241 a piece of the True Cross was added, and other relics. Thus the building, consecrated 26 April 1248, was like a precious reliquary: even the stonework was painted, with medallions of saints and martyrs in the quatrefoils of the dado arcade, which was hung with rich textiles.
There are sculptures of the twelve Apostles in front of the think columns. The baldachin is a copy of the original one, destroyed during the Revolution.

Como comenté antes, la Sainte Chapelle se construyó para acoger las reliquias de Cristo, principalmente la Corona de Espinas, cuando llegó a manos de dos hermanos dominicos desde Venecia. Al contrario que otros devotos aristócratas , que robaban reliquias, San Luis compró las reliquias de la Pasión, adquiriéndoselas al Emperados Latino en Constantinopla, Balduino II, por la exhorbitante cantidad de 135.000 libras, pagadas a los venecianos. En contraste, toda la capilla fue construida por 40.000 libras. En 1241 se añadió un trozo de la Santa Cruz, así como otras reliquias. El edificio fue consagrado el 26 de abril de 1248 como un precioso relicario: incluso las obras de piedra fueron pintadas, con medallones de santos y mártires en casetones dentro de las arcadas, colgados de ricas telas.
Hay esculturqas de los 12 Apóstoles frente a las delgadas columnas. El baldaquino es una copia del original, destruido durante la Revolución.

Address: Boulevard du Palais
Directions: Sainte-Chapelle is inside the Palais of Justice on Ile de le Cité-- a few minute walk from Notre Dame. Métro : Cité, Saint-Michel, or Châtelet. RER: Chatelet -Les-Halles, Saint-Michel
Phone: 01 53 40 60 97
Website: http://sainte-chapelle.monuments-nationaux.fr/en/

Review Helpfulness: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated May 12, 2008
  • Send to a Friend
  • Add to your Trip Planner
  • Report Abuse

Comments

spanishguy Used To Live Here!

spanishguy

“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page”

Online Now

Male

Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 2 9 9
Forum Rank:
0 0 6 1 0

Have you been to Paris?

  Share Your Travels