"59 mile scenic drive" Scenic Drives - Bikes - Hikes Tip by Dabs

Sunset Cliffs overview
      Ocean Beach
      Mission Bay Aquatic Park
    by Dabs

I saw the 59 mile scenic drive recommended as a good way to see some of the highlights of San Diego if you have a car, since I was starting from Old Town I started at Ocean Beach, No. 6 on the attached website and followed it to La Jolla Cove Park, No. 11. I then went back and hit No 1-5 going backwards and did much of the rest of the tour using public transportation the following day.

I think the driving tour works a lot better if you are not intending to stop anywhere, I spent a few hours in La Jolla and then wanted to make it down to Cabrillo before it closed so the driving tour didn't really work all that well for me.

Ocean Beach, a hippee/surfer community, wasn't even awake when I arrived there around 10 am, the stores weren't open yet and there were very few people around. I went the wrong way when exiting Ocean Beach and ended up at Sunset Cliffs, there was a very nice view from here so it was a good mistake. Mission Bay Aquatic Park was also a bit sleepy as it was a Wednesday morning, I imagine it's much more crowded on a weekend.

Address: Throughout the City - County
Website: http://www.sandiego.org/article_set/Visitors/11/338

• Updated May 4, 2008

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to San Diego?