Zocalo Grill: "Higher end Mexican in Old Town" Miguel's Cocina Tip by Dabs

Queso "Fun"dido
      Calamari and shrimp
      Patio at Zocalo Grill
    by Dabs

For my 2nd night in Old Town, I selected Zocalo Grill for dinner, a little higher end than Old Town Mexican Cafe. I booked an earlier time slot for dinner than the night before and it wasn't busy at all. I had a table on the patio, Zocalo Grill is at the end of the tourist stretch of San Diego Avenue so you can do a little people watching during dinner. They have overhead patio heaters which at the beginning were way too warm but as the evening progressed and the temperature dropped it became more comfortable.

The service here was very friendly and quick, they were doing a promotion with Brazil and mojitos and the young lady who was doing the promoting stopped by and we chatted a bit and she gave me some beads and a Mardi Gras mask to take home as souvenirs.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a couple of appetizers instead of a main dish, Queso "Fun"dido ($9) with carnitas, peppers and onion served with a rainbow of multi colored tortilla chips and crispy harina masa fried shrimp and calamari ($10). The Queso "Fun"dido was good, the portion size a bit small for the price. The other appetizer was a bit short on the shrimp, I think there might have been two very small ones and the calamari was OK but not nearly as good as the calamari I had at Point Loma Seafood or at The Tin Fish. The mojitos were on special for $5 and were very good.

I liked this place better than the Old Town Mexican Cafe but wasn't overwhelmed with the food and thought it was a bit expensive for the portion size. 4 stars for the service and atmosphere, 3 stars for the food

Address: 2444 San Diego Avenue
Rating: 4
Theme: Mexican
Website: http://www.brigantine.com/

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to San Diego?