"Ponte Arsenale" Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Off The Beaten Path Tip by suvanki

Venice Off The Beaten Path: 717 reviews and 1,246 photos

Ponte Arsenale

Ponte Arsenale
      Ponte Arsenale and Naval Museum
      Ponte Arsenale, with Rams head
      Ponte Arsenale - Rams head
      Ponte Arsenale and Naval museu- from the Alilugana

CASTELLO

My first view of this bridge was during my visit at Christmas 2006, I'd been surprised to see a funfair all lit up on the Riva degli Schiavoni, and had wandered onto this bridge to take some photos of the fair.

I noticed on one side was a stone Rams head, which I thought was quite unusual. I quite liked this white stone bridge with its elegant lines, but couldn't see its name displayed anywhere.
My next view, was when leaving for the airport, I located it from the waterbus, next to the Naval museum.

On my return home, despite looking at guide books etc, I couldn't find its name, or anything about it.
June 2007, I returned to look for this bridge, on my way to to look at the Arsenale, and the Biennale exhibits. I was still impressed by it, but still couldn't see a name plaque.

So it's only been very recently that I've finally found out it is the Ponte Arsenale - Hoorah!!, or is it? Further along, the wooden bridge in front of the Arsenale is also listed under this name!!

This bridge is much older, I think. It has been painted by Canaletto.

I've read somewhere, that this bridge is also called Ponte Paradiso, probably named after Dantes visit to Arsenale, and there are 2 other bridges nearby called Ponte del Inferno, and Ponte dei Pergatorio, - which are names of 3 sections of The Divine Comedies by Dante - again I can't seem to find these bridges on any Venice maps.

However, I'm now more confused as I've seen there is a Ponte Paradiso near to Santa Maria Formosa!

Help! - Anyone??

• Updated Nov 3, 2009

Comments

suvanki

“Enjoy Yourself -It's later than you think!”

Have you been to Venice?