"MT PISGAH STATE PARK" Lamoni Off The Beaten Path Tip by mtncorg
Lamoni Off The Beaten Path: 5 reviews and 15 photos
Established in May 1846 as a large semi-permanent camp of between 700 to 2000 people to serve as a second way station for Latter Day Saints migrants who were making their way across Iowa en route from Nauvoo, Illinois to what would eventually be their new home in Utah. It only took four days after it was decided to establish the camp for the pioneers to get over 1000 acres of land started on the way into agricultural production to supply the needed food to pioneering Mormon families. The camp was abandoned in 1852 after the main initial Mormon migrations were at an end.
Today, you can reach the park via a series of dirt roads of US route 169 a few mile north of its junction with US route 34. The park consists of a couple of picnic tables and a rest room located high above fields along the upper reaches of the Grand River. A monument dating back to 1888 commemorates those 800 people who died while tending the gardens of the way station. There is also a replica of one of the log cabin dug-outs built by local Mormons as well as a memorial to four young LDS missionaries who died in a local car crash.