"A Voodoo Ceremony" Top 5 Page for this destination Benin Things to Do Tip by janiebaxter

Benin Things to Do: 71 reviews and 89 photos

A Voodoo Ceremony
by janiebaxter

A Voodoo ceremony is very interesting, and I felt very lucky to be able to see the one I did.
It was held in a rural village outside Abomey and was dedicated to the Warrior spirit Cokou. It was organised by a local guide who went ahead to the village to ask permission and allow the villagers to make the preparations. He also paid for the required ingredients to be bought ? chickens, local gin, palm oil and cornflour. As I travelled with only a guide and the local area guide, it was easy to organise to see a genuine ceremony. It is probably much more difficult if you are travelling in a tour group.
The followers of the traditional religion are happy to be able to have a ceremony, as they like to do this and it is important to them to keep the spirits happy. While we were attending our ceremony there was a family waiting to have a ceremony after us to solve a problem. The ceremony took about 2 hours in total and we were made to feel very welcome by the priest and the villagers participating. I was allowed to take photographs throughout, and when it was finished the participants came to shake hands.

Directions: The guide who organised this for me is called Mr Altonhonton(?)-Abel if you ask for him at Motel Abomey they will contact him.

• Updated Apr 20, 2008

Comments

janiebaxter

“In Love with Africa”