Lomas de Tzununa: "Lomas de Tzununa: One Word - Magical" Tzununá Hotel Tip by brewjohnson

Tzununá Hotels: 1 reviews and 5 photos

A hotel room with a serious view - Atitlan

A hotel room with a serious view - Atitlan
    by brewjohnson
      View of Atitlan from outside my hotel room
    by brewjohnson
      View from the dining room - jaw dropping
    by brewjohnson
      View from the steps to G in his kayak
    by brewjohnson
      View from farther down the steps
    by brewjohnson

I'm going to make a bold statement - there cannot be a better place to stay at Lago Atitlan. I've never felt so good about a place from the moment I arrived to the moment I left. Seriously, within a few minutes of arriving at this incredible hotel, Giampiero and I almost simultaneously said "this place is magical". After being dropped off at the hotel's private boat dock, you hike up 350 or so meticulously placed steps to the hotel area. Even though we were dripping with sweat and G looked like he was about to go into cardiac arrest when we reached the hotel area (just kidding, buddy), we literally couldn't wipe the smiles off our faces. The beauty of the place, the incomparable views, the warmth of the staff (all residents of the adjacent village), the hospitality of the owner/hosts, literally, everything about Lomas de Tzunana is incredible. We were only there for 1 night, but we both agreed, we could have stayed for weeks and can't wait to make a return trip. A true gem of a place. If you're heading to Atitlan, I can't imagine a better place to stay. I'll add more later, but for the time being, check out Giampiero's write up on Lomas de Tzununa, found here: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/da2b/196d00/3/ He pretty much hits the nail on the head. Oh yes, the food is great (made with all local ingredients). I had local fish from the lake. It was lovely. They also make a mean Campari and orange juice.

Some of the best views in the world, incredibly gracious hosts, and lovely food (made with local ingredients)... a magical place!

Unique Qualities: The setting, the views, the hosts and its eco-friendly!

Address: Hugging the steep hillside just before the very small town of Tzununa!
Comparison: about average
Directions: The best way to get there is by boat from Panajachel. Private (more expensive) or the public boat will drop you at the private dock. Then, its 350 steep steps up to the hotel. Its a little strenuous, but it is well, well worth it!
othercontact: reservas@lomasdetzununa.com
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.lomasdetzununa.com/

• Written Apr 18, 2008

Comments

brewjohnson

“Who's up for a living spree?”

Have you been to Tzununá?