"Ellerslie Int. Flower Show Has Moved to Chch" Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Local Custom Tip by Kakapo2
Christchurch Local Customs: 42 reviews and 46 photos
The first Ellerslie International Flower Show in Christchurch took place in Hagley Park from 11 to 15 March 2009. But already before the start there were discussions if this is a good date, as flowers will not be at their best in late summer/early autumn LOL And Auckland has announced they will have a new show which will compete with Christchurch?s.
Impressed by the success of the Chelsea Flower Show in London, the Ellerslie Flower Show had been set up in the Auckland suburb of Ellerslie in 1994 as a fundraiser. In 1998 it moved to the Regional Botanic Gardens in Manukau. And, as said, now to Christchurch. Of course, the Council thinks it is logic that the Garden City needs this flower show although their first plan to establish a garden show in Christchurch horribly failed. The only thing gained was that this plan killed another existing garden show in Hagley Park? Let?s see how the now really big event kicks off.
More info on the Ellerslie International Flower Show on:
Update Feb 2010
I had planned to visit the main show in Hagley Park last year but when I saw the queues in front of the gate I left and - then after reading letters to the editor in The Press about the chaos - did not not try it again.
The 2011 flower show had to be cancelled due to the 6.3 earthquake on 22 February.
The dates for this year: 7 to 11 March 2012.
More Local Customs in Christchurch (15)
More Reviews (228)
- See All The new after-quake double-decker city...
- See All Produce and fruit fresh from the orchard
- See All Local transport after the earthquakes
- See All Pure indulgence
- See All Scared Scriptless comedy show
- See All Accommodation after the February...
- See All Tour Buses are no Banksafes
- See All Mountain Biking in the Port Hills on a...
- See All Succulent Steaks and Divine Desserts
- See All A new Maori Experience on the Styx River
- See All KoTane have found a new Source of Income
Been to Christchurch?Share your travels with the world!
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Have you been to Christchurch?Share Your Travels