"New York Aquarium" Top 5 Page for this destination New York Aquarium Tip by Gypsystravels

New York Aquarium, Brooklyn: 5 reviews and 13 photos

Colorful tank and fish
      Colorful tank and fish
      Entrance from the Broadwalk
      Moray Eel
      School of fish
  • Shark - Brooklyn
    by Gypsystravels

As a child I remember my parents taking us to the aquarium at least once every summer, usually after a few hours of spending time in Coney Island.

I recall that my mom would go nuts looking for me as I would run off ahead of them to see my favorite exhibit here at the aquarium. Mom always knew where to find me. I would love to spend hours just looking at the dolphins (sadly, they no longer have them at the aquarium). I loved the way they would swim, they seemed so smart and full of energy and life. I loved the dolphins so much that they were the subject of every single piece of art I did during my drawing days?.

As a mother I took my daughter to the aquarium various times in the late 80?s and early 90?s. I?ve witnessed the aquarium go through many of its changes and loose so much of what made it a great place to take your children.

I?ve recently returned to the aquarium because I?ve been missing my mother terribly and wanted to relive some childhood memories. Sadly, the aquarium isn?t quite like I had remembered it during my childhood visits. The dolphins are no longer part of the aquarium and not even the beautiful beluga whales. This was quite disappointing.

There are a few large mammals, like a female walrus with a baby, but sadly, a few weeks before my visit the male walrus died of an unknown illness. You will find a few exhibits with seals, otters and penguins. The outdoor exhibits have enclosures with a mesh netting (strange) and during my visit I couldn?t see any of the animals from the above exhibits (but were visible from the tanks below).

There is also a shark exhibit which is a favorite among young and old, but the hammerhead sharks and the divers who would feed them of years ago are gone. There are other exhibits with beautiful colorful fish, sea creatures, eels, etc. here at the aquarium.

It was really sad to see the state the aquarium is in. Although not dirty, it gave me a sense of untidiness or that there is very little up keep.

Admission Fee (this is the limited and does not include the Deep Sea 3D:
$13 Adults, $10 for Seniors over 65, $9 children 3-12, $6 for groups. Children under 2 are free

Deep Sea 3D is $6 ($4 for members)
Combo entrance (includes general admission and the Deep Sea 3D) $17 for Adults, $13 for childre and $14 for seniors

There is also a Friday afternoon special as follows:
3:00 p.m. until closing is pay-what-you-wish. Suggested donation is $13 for adults, $9 for children, and $10 for seniors.

Operating Hours:

Summer hours and rates are in effect May 24?Sept. 4, 2008.
Monday?Friday, 10am?6pm, weekends & holidays, 10am?7pm

Fall hours are in effect Sept. 5?Nov. 2, 2008
Monday?Friday, 10am-5pm., weekends & holidays 10am-5:30pm

Winter hours are in effect Nov. 3, 2008?April 3, 2009
Daily, 10am?4pm

Spring hours are in effect April 4?May 23, 2009
Monday?Friday. 10am?5pm, weekends & holidays, 10am?5pm

Parking located on premises for a fee: $12

Address: Surf Ave. & W. 8th St.
Directions: Take the F or Q train to the West 8th Street station in Coney Island, Brooklyn.
Phone: 1-718-265-FISH
Website: http://www.nyaquarium.com/

• Updated Jul 10, 2008

“If You don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!”

Have you been to Brooklyn?