"City Gallery" Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Things to Do Tip by craic

Wellington Things to Do: 197 reviews and 338 photos

Free entry! Sweet!
by craic

It is so strange coming back to my home town and finding so many of the buildings have changed their use. Those that are still there of course.
One of my most important sanctuaries was the Wellington Central Library so I really wanted to recapture the magic. The hours I spent in here trying to make sense of really difficult things - like the poems in the New Yorker.
Well, now it is an art gallery (contemporary) but it was free so although I wasn't in the mood for contemporary art I popped in and golly - no memories of library left - (well, just one, going up the stairs) but I was enraptured and refreshed by the Russian film on 3 screens - now what was it called? I'll check the brochure.
Ah yes. Last Riot by a collective called AES & F.

And Reboot - The Jim Barr & Mary Barr Collection.

Both showing temporarily.

Now, this is what a gallery should do. No solemnity or heavy prices. Pop in for ten minutes and get refreshed and inspired.

Had an interesting discussion with a security guard about Judy Chicago's The Dinner Party - and a piece of DVD art that was showing of a young person playing a violent video game. One of the most confronting and intimate pieces I have seen in a long time.
I was sure it was a boy aged between 14 -16 - when they are a little androgynous (but beautiful).
She was adamant it was a girl.

I shall be taking many friends and relations in to view the piece and then pop the question.

Boy or girl?

UPDATE I did the guided tour and it is a 14 year old boy. I thought as much. Though several people on the tour were surprised by that info. They had thought the subject was a girl.

Address: Civic Centre
Directions: PS Free guided tours Saturday and Sunday at 1pm. No bookings required.

• Updated Apr 25, 2008

craic Used To Live Here!

Have you been to Wellington?