"This far North - Why Sutherland?" Unapool Favorite Tip by scottishvisitor

Island in the bay

Island in the bay
      Craggy Peaks
    by scottishvisitor
      Yes we have some tourists
    by scottishvisitor

Favorite thing: The name Sutherland would suggest to the visitor it lies to the South in Scotland but in reality it extends to the North and spreads over from the Atlantic to the North Sea. The Vikings named it Sutherland during their invasions because it was the Southern Limits to their territories. The Gaels named it Du'thaich 'Ic Aoilh a more fitting name translated into English as 'The Land of MacKay' It was with great delight I also found little Unapool on VT's Data Base with one tip - what better way to promote this rugged, pristine, isolated but accessable region.

Fondest memory: We didn't see a fraction of what Sutherland has to offer but what we did see was pure natural beauty. One thing struck me most while thinking back on our visit - I don't recall seeing any litter bins but no litter was evident - this place commands respect from the visitor who must always take any litter away with them. Sutherland has a lasting appeal with me and I will be back to sample some more of this unspoilt area.

• Updated Apr 26, 2008

Comments

scottishvisitor

“Look for the simple things in life”

Have you been to Unapool?