"Great location on the cliffs" Top 5 Page for this destination Negril Escape Resort and Spa Tip by toonsarah

Negril Escape Resort and Spa, Negril: 206 reviews and 10 photos

Our favourite spot :)
      Our favourite spot :)
    by toonsarah
      View of gardens from our balcony
      Negril Escape pool
    by toonsarah
      View of sea and massage room from our balcony
      Our room in Coconut Grove
    by toonsarah

We stayed six nights at the Negril Escape, which I?d found through internet searches. It?s a mid-priced option in the West End, well situated for restaurants to suit all budgets, and we were very happy with our choice. Accommodation is in a number of blocks scattered through the pretty gardens. We stayed in Coconut Grove, which I chose because its décor seemed more in keeping with the Caribbean setting than some of the others (such as ?Orient Express? or ?Back to Africa?). We had a standard ocean view room (only slightly obscured by another cottage in front and to one side) with one double bed. The view was one of the best things about the room ? as we weren?t overlooked we could leave the curtains open at night and wake up to see the sea almost at the foot of our bed, it seemed. The room was pretty basic in its décor, but a reasonable size and with a lovely balcony. There was a TV (which I don?t remember us ever putting on!), A/C and a ceiling fan, a rather small bathroom but with a fairly good shower. One small downside was the thinness of the walls ? something the couple in the room next door were obviously less aware of (or less bothered by) than we were!

Breakfast was served between 7.30 and 10 in the bar area (covered but open on two sides to the sea). It was buffet style, with fruit, bread, a selection of hot dishes both Jamaican (ackee and saltfish, calaloo) and international (bacon, eggs) and good coffee with unlimited refills. It wasn?t a patch on the Blue House breakfasts we?d enjoyed in Ocho Rios but was fine for our needs. We didn?t eat dinner here at all, but the menu looked OK. We did go for lunch on our last morning, and this was the one time we were let down by the otherwise friendly service ? having waited 40 minutes for my fish it was finally served only lukewarm as apparently the waitress had left it sitting in the upstairs kitchen for ages rather than go up to collect it. As it was too late by then to get a replacement (our taxi was due to take us to the airport) I had to share Chris?s tuna salad. In fairness, the manageress was very apologetic when I mentioned it on checking out, and it was our only complaint, so I wouldn?t judge the place too harshly for this.

There are additional photos of the resort in my other accommodation tip, "Where to stay"

Unique Qualities: The best thing about the Negril Escape is its setting. It claims to have the widest sea-side expanse of any of Negril?s cliff-side properties, and we spent most of our downtime enjoying the sea crashing against the rocks (and occasionally splashing us!) from our favourite seats ? accompanied of course by an appropriate refreshment from the bar.

We also spent some time relaxing by the pool after our various outings, sometimes with one of the hotel?s cats for company. Although not large compared with some of the more expensive resorts, the pool was reasonable and never very full. But if you prefer the beach, the hotel offers a twice daily shuttle to its sister property on the bay, the Mariner?s Inn (see my General Tip on the beach for more about this).

All in all I?d recommend the Negril Escape if you want a good location and reasonable facilities without paying a fortune!
[Our room, one of the cheaper ones, cost US$150 for two, including breakfast]

Address: West End Road, Negril, JM
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: [taken from hotel?s website] From roundabout in town, take the West End Road. Continue for 5 miles passing the Pirates Cave, the Rockhouse and Sea Grape Villas until you see the Negril Escape Resort sign on the right.
Phone: %s3 %cb 876.957.0392
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.negrilescape.com/

• Updated Apr 14, 2008

More Hotels in Negril (1)

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to Negril?