Geno's Steaks: "Geno's - TERRIBLE!!!!" Philadelphia Restaurant Tip by VincePapale

Philadelphia Restaurants: 460 reviews and 478 photos

For 30 years I wanted to go to Philly & find the best Cheese Steak. Finally making it there this spring, myself and a coworker decided to visit the 3 most popular haunts in walking distance from our hotel downtown. We decided to hike to Geno's, Pat's and Jim's.

Geno's was first & we were so disappointed in the steak!!! It was dry - too much bread & it just had little flavor. The locals I asked told us & I must confirm that the price is way too much for what you get. I will say the meat was lean (& sliced), but I can get a better Philly in Denver, CO than at Geno's. My co-worker had the exact same impression.

I admire Geno's for their publicity of cops' causes, but I got to wonder if that is more for their own publicity than for the cops. This has nothing to do with the taste test (as I had already had my steak), but it was offensive none the less. Geno's will give out free bumper stickers (1 per customer the sign says), espousing their latest publicity on ordering in English. I saw a fellow in front of me get 5-10 of them. So I asked for 1. The employee turned & asked an old guy (I think it was Joey), if he had any stickers to give out - pointing to me. I guess I didn't look South Philly enough, cause he said "nah, we're out."

Very classy Joey!!! I'll just make sure that everyone knows my opinion of Geno's. Since I work in the travel industry, I'll make sure to tell folks where to steer clear in Philly.

As for the rest of the Steak trip - the next two were a quantum leap!

After Geno's we go across the street to Pat's. The employee greets us with a big smile & takes our order. Oh man - night & day! Pat's was HUGE! They piled it on & yes this is what I was expecting in a steak in SO Philly. Outstanding.

After some serious walking, I worked up enough room to venture to Jim's at South & 4th. While not as big as Pat's - it had a certain flavor that just beat out Pat's.

Locals say Gooey Louie's (huge & meaty) & Tony Luke's are the best.

Favorite Dish: Steak

Rating: 1
Theme: Other

• Written Apr 14, 2008

Ranked Member

Have you been to Philadelphia?