"Unbelievably bad restaurant" Gorbandh Palace Tip by situatedness

Gorbandh Palace, Jaisalmer: 469 reviews and 0 photos

The food situation in Jaisalmer is not so hot, and we were getting tired of vegetarian, so took a rickshaw here, it is about three miles outside the town on the Sam Road, alongside two other new 'fake Rajasthan' large hotels.

We were there in early April so the place was dead, but the Gorbandh Palace was REALLY dead, we were the only people in the restaurant and we saw no other guests in this large and quite elegant place run the the HRH group, a major Indian heritage hotel chain.

The food was amazingly expensive; 650 rupees for a barbeque platter, etc (by comparison four times more than the Trio and the Saffron restaurants which by contrast are extremely good). But I could live with overcharging if the food was OK. It was not. The barbeque in particular was extremely dry, salty, and overcooked (which wasn't surprising since it took the staff of dozens a whole hour to conjure it up. The platter was supposed to be a mix of lamb, chicken and fish, but it was about 60% fish that was either catfish or more likely already off, we couldn't consume it. We also had Rogan Josh which was more edible, I would say it reached the standard of mediocre.

I expect the rooms are comfortable but the food quality was so bad that I would discourage anyone from going there; no reasonably competent hotel would allow such low standards in its kitchen.

Address: NO 1 TOURIST COMPLEX SAM ROAD, Jaisalmer, RA 34500
Price Comparison: most expensive
Phone: +91 99109 00630
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.hrhhotels.com/Royal_Retreats/Gorbandh_Palace/index.aspx

• Written Apr 13, 2008

situatedness' Related Pages

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Jaisalmer?