"Wyck as bridge-head" Top 5 Page for this destination Maastricht Favorite Tip by ger4444
Maastricht General: 208 reviews and 266 photos
Favorite thing: The ?suburb? of Wyck ? derived from latin ?vicus , meaning trade settlement ? was the bridge-head of Trajectum ad mosam at the eastern Maas bank. Wyck is not so much a highlight as the monuments on the other side of the Maas, but it has some nice monuments and an interesting history. During the romans there was residential use of this part of Maastricht. For a long time wyck stayed relatively small. Together with the center Wyck got surrounded by walls in 1229. There were in those days only 2 big streets within the walls. The rechtstraat ? leading to Meersen and the Hoogbrugstraat leading to Valkenberg, ending respectively at the Sint Maartensgate and Duitse gate. It took a long time before the walls got teared down. The walls were seen as hindering the local middle class for trade and passengers by train who entered the city had to make a detaour to one of the both gates. But untill the wall got teared down the town made a direct gate for the travellers from the railroad. Behind this gate the community wanted to create a long boulevard to the sint servaas bridge. For that houses in the Rechtstraat needed to be ruined. This breaking trough the houses was called by the locals ?percee.? A pub?s name has remined to that for some time, which is now called cafee Zondag.
It took a very long time before the mainstreet, conncting the station from 1914 to the bridge. Also the ground of the old fortifications was planned to use for buidling. The brugstraat had to become larger ? 25 metres. For that houses again needed to be teared down. Only the northern side of the houses remained such as the 18 th century houes ?het gulden hoofd? and ?la coupe d?or.? The government wanted to create an elegant neighboorhood in wyck. Planned were broad avenues and boulevards, like in Brussels. Residents had to pay for pavement and sewer. The ?percee? became a neighboorhood for the crème de la crème upperclass of the beginning of the ninetheenth century. The elegant Villa Wyckervelt from Eugene Regout (see: urban industry) from 1879 became the eyecatching spot of the Station street. Nowadays the houses in the percee have that elegant outlook. The Wilhelmina singel is also a street with large Heerenhuizen and boulevard trees on both sides.
More Reviews (258)
- See All löbtrèkke
- See All Nood kist
- See All Other things to buy in Maastricht part 4
- See All sports
- See All Witloof
- See All industrial monument
ger4444's Related Pages
Have you been to Maastricht?Share Your Travels