Hotel New Azuma: "For the budget conscious" Tokyo Hotel Tip by Maxiediva

Frontage of Hotel Azuma
      Single occupancy room - Top
      Single Occ room - bottom
    by Maxiediva

I needed a place to sleep, shower and store my luggage while I spend the day in Nikko. After visiting Hakone enroute from Kyoto to Tokyo, I was ready to crash for the night. It was easy to find the hotel, although the walk from Minamisenju JR station was took me a good 10mins, dragging my luggage behind me. The hotel entrance is small, so you need to find the light-up signage. Ito-san checks you in, collects the payment with a 1000Yen refundable deposit and of off you go, carrying your luggage up the flight of stairs. There is no elevators and I was on the 4th floor, so there was still no rest for me. Single occupancy room with no bath is quite tiny, probably 3 tatami mats. The shower and bath are on the ground floor. So are the kitchen and laundry room and hot water dispenser. You're not allowed to take the cups to your rooms cuz others may need to use them. Bring your own tumblers and fill it with hot water. Toilets are on different floors for men and ladies. The ladies was on the 3rd floor so I had to climb down a floor each time I had to go. It was super duper eerie, just like those toilets you see on Japanese horror flicks. There are 3 cubicles and the doors creaked when you open them. The lighting didn't help much becuz the last cubicle was still in shadows. Brave as I was, I wasn't going to take that chance, especially since no one seemed to be staying on the 3rd floor. It was hard to know if there was anyone staying in the hotel at all, except for a bearded American guy I met at the lobby, an Hispanic lady, a young guy opposite my room and a Caucasian lady using the Internet, since no one left their slippers outside the door. Some guests were quite inconsiderate and noisy, even tho I left my slippers outside the door. Probably since they had a fairly big luggage and the corridors are narrow. The notice boards are filled with brochures and the walls are filled with photos of previous guests. I wonder why they didnt take my photo. An old lady makes sure the lounge is clean and everyone obeys the rules. The street / alley is also used as a ***-stop for those who patronise the Pachinko store in front, so try not to walk to close to the walls in the morning or evening.

Address: 38-3, 2-chome Kiyokawa, Taito-ku Tokyo
Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: From Minamisenju stations south exits, walk towards footbridge, cross bridge, keep to your left. Pass 3 traffic lights until you see a 7-11 store on your right. Turn left after Hotel Hikari.
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hotel

• Written Apr 11, 2008

More Hotels in Tokyo (1)

Comments

Maxiediva

“Believe in Wonderland”