"The Lady Norwood Rose Garden and Begonia House" Top 5 Page for this destination Wellington Botanic Garden Tip by craic

Wellington Botanic Garden, Wellington: 16 reviews and 40 photos

The Begonia House.

The Begonia House.
    by craic
      Rose gardens with bush clad hills.
    by craic
      Begonias. Just a few of many.
      The water lily pond.
      Another view.
    by craic

Oh I do love the Botanic Garden. I always have. We often went there when I was a kid and always arrived via the cable car. And roamed around, feral as.
But now I am living across the road from them and my slightly mobility disadvantaged mother was visiting so I took her to the rose garden and begonia house. Because they are designed to be enjoyed by the mobility disadvantaged. (More of that in the next tip.) The begonias amazed, as always (it is slightly too late for the roses to be seen at their best) and then I found out there is another section (I don't remember this as a kid) with a water lily pond. That was even warmer than the begonia house. I suggested to my mother (as there were benches dotted around) that a homeless person when the Wellington winter was doing its worst might do a lot worse than spend her days on a bench contemplating the water lily pond.
A great bad weather choice.
And there is a cafe attached.
And a shop. In which I found a delightful tui pin for $6-50. One of a range of NZ birds but I had to have the tui because I had just seen a tui in a pohutakawa tree right opposite our Parliament House (The Beehive) in the centre of the city.
My aunt tells me that is because of the great initiative the Karori Wildlife Sanctuary has undertaken. (More of that in another tip.)
Oh - also toilets with Disability Toilets emphasised.
Everything that opens and shuts as it were.

Address: Tinakori Road, Wellington.
Directions: Enter from Tinakori Road, at the top of Bowen Street
Phone: (04) 499 1400
Website: http://wellington.govt.nz/services/gardens/botanicgardens/botanicgardens.html

• Updated Apr 13, 2008

Comments

craic Used To Live Here!

Have you been to Wellington?