"Fascinating!" Chester Beatty Library Tip by iaint

Chester Beatty Library, Dublin: 18 reviews and 19 photos

Entrance (behind sculpture)
by iaint

European Museum of the Year in 2002, and I can see why. Beatty was a collector of art and books, who donated the collection to Ireland on his death.

It includes relics of Buddhist, Islam and Christian religions, such as medieval copies of the Koran. Many truly beautiful items, and some just interesting because of their provenance and antiquity. They are well displayed, and the viewing experience is educational as well as pleasurable - for example I already knew quite a lot about Buddhism, but learned a lot more about the various strands as practised in different parts of Asia.

Half the space was closed for renovation when we visited (April 08) and I would go out of my way to return to see the bits we missed.

The museum is located in the delightful grounds of Dublin Castle. It has an award winning cafe/restaurant specialising in middle eastern food (we only managed coffee & baklava, but were tempted to hang around longer just to try the lunch menu!)

It is not the kind of collection which takes all day to enjoy - say 2-3 hours at most - but it was a highlight of our visit and highly recommended.

Oh, and its free!

Address: Clock Tower Building, Dublin Castle
Directions: In the gardens of Dublin Castle.
Phone: 4070750
Website: http://www.cbl.ie

• Written Apr 8, 2008

“A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ”

Have you been to Dublin?