H.E.L.P. Association: "Great Voluntourism B&B in Senegal!" Ziguinchor Hotel Tip by SanteDafrique

Ziguinchor Hotels: 1 reviews and 0 photos

I spent a week in Ziguinchor in this wonderful guesthouse/pension. We planned my visit ahead of time by e-mail, the owners offering me several different options - each a mix of eco-tourism and volunteer work with the local villagers. I chose to pay for and help build a chain-link fence for the women's garden of a nearby village. Once I arrived, the HELP staff welcomed me like family. I stayed in a small guesthouse with a live-in Senegalese cook and host. All of my meals and excursions were included. They accommodated my vegetarianism and my energy level in all of our activities. The community was beautiful and fascinating. In addition to boat rides and visits to the busy and crowded markets, we drove out of town to meet and work with the villagers. We installed the fence so that the women could grow vegetables to better feed their families and could also have more to sell at market. The villagers hospitality was overwhelming - They celebrated with us, a wonderful local feast with drumming and dancing into the night. I have never seen so many stars!

Unique Qualities: The personal touch. European creature comforts, a wondefully welcoming staff, a chance to meet and work alongside everyday Senegalese at their everyday chores, as well as to celebrate with them!

Address: Ziguinchor
Theme: Pension/Guesthouse
Website: http://www.helptravel.org

• Written Apr 6, 2008

Comments

SanteDafrique's Related Pages

Ranked Member

Have you been to Ziguinchor?