"My fave German food..." Germany Local Custom Tip by chris.hh

Germany Local Customs: 320 reviews and 361 photos

As a German it's strange to me to point out these every-day-things:
Like for example bread. German love their bread and miss it when leaving the country. We have lots of different sorts of bread so I would recomment to you to enter a bakery and have a look and smell. You might try "Vollkornbrot" which is very hard and has whole grain in it. "Graubrot" is common but without any whole grains, and if you ask me - little boring in taste... In Westfalia area "Pumpernickel" is very famous - it is very a hard bread. It is also called "black bread" because it is very dark in color for it is baked for up to 24 hours... You do not need to buy a whole bread you'll also find smaller "Brötchen" - as we call the rolls.

"Müsli" also is something pretty typical of German breakfast. It is a cereal mixture, that differs in many styles. Mostly you find nuts and fruits in it. In the good selections you do not find artificial ingredients within.

"Torten" - Germans like cake or tortes. Look for a good cafe and try some of them if you are a "sweety". Famous - but very heafy is the "Scharzwälderkirschtorte" (Black Forest Torte). But there are many different styles. I love the cheese cakes (Käsekuchen) that are not that creamy...

In daily life German used to eat lots of stews. We call them "Eintopf" (one pot). There are lots of differnt kinds. My favourite is Grandma's with carrots and minced meat. But you also have with peas, lenses, beans, potatos - never ending story...

"Gulasch" I like very much, too. The dictionary says the English word is "goulash"?! It's a meat stew that we eat with potatos or sometimes with Knödels (I am not from the South - so we do not eat them sticky things that often - but I love them, too. Dad says you can throgh them to the wall and they stick there - but we did not check that. Hm, maybe we should?!)

Braten, Sauerfleisch are some other very commom meat meals, mostly eaten with potatos and some vegetable.

Younger German people, however, do mix up with other food styles: Italian cuisione is very popular, so we eat lots of pasta, pizza & co. Also Chinese food is very common. Mexican, Greek, Thai, Sushi, Arbabic and of course Turkish for many Turkish people are living in Germany. So you find lots of their snacks.

I hope this was helpful and not too much of daily life eating... ;-)

• Written Apr 6, 2008

“The Way is the Destination”

Have you been to Germany?