"Beaches and a Rainforest, chirping Frogs!" Beach Tip by LaurieWiegler

Beach, San Juan: 17 reviews and 34 photos

Unfortunatley, L'habitation Beach Guest House, once operated by a polite and vibrant French Canadian woman is no longer in operation.

However, when I think of my first journey off the American continent I will remember San Juan and Puerto Rico so fondly it brings tears. For it was my birthday; I'd won the trip to begin with; and then through sheer happenstance, was bumped to an earlier flight and into the seat of a first class passenger who hadn't shown up!

So imagine: My birthday. I'd never flown First-class, and I was sipping champagne as the plane gently glided towards the bluest water I'd seen. Wait scratch that! I was in Hawaii in my 20s, but I digress.

This seemed to be the bluest (I'd have to hold pictures up side by side).

I am not sure now where I'd stay, but it would not be down near all the tourists, it would be back by Ocean beach and its sweet shopkeepers, brown surfers and amazing food for dirt-cheap prices.

I would take a cheap cab ride into town for $12 (it's in the US so it's on the USD, too) and wander about Old Town for hours. Get some great Mexican food for great prices and delight the locals who will be thrilled for your business and enchanted when you speak your bits of Spanish to them.

I didn't see the fort, but the next day I did get to ...

Take a special car or van rather, out to the rainforest, with some fellow travelers from New York.

I was disappointed that there was a souveneir shop at the rainforest, but blown away by the bounty of foliage, the flora and peace of the place. I hiked up a tower for the 360-degree view. This predated my owning a digital camera so I will have to upload pictures later.

Address: Several Beaches to choose from.
Directions: Along the coast of San Juan with the N. Atlantic Ocean
Website: http://sanjuanpuertorico.com/beaches/

• Written Apr 6, 2008

“It's never too late; you're never too broke; you don't owe anyone more than you owe yourself SO GO”

Ranked Member

Have you been to San Juan?