Shaw's Crabhouse: "River North-seafood" Top 5 Page for this destination Shaw's Crab House Tip by Dabs

Shaw's Crab House, Chicago: 4 reviews and 1 photos

Last visit 2/28/09

Chicago isn't known for seafood since we are nowhere near a coast with a supply of fresh fish but that doesn't mean that you can't get good seafood here, it just means that you'll pay a lot more. I see people debating over two of the more popular seafood places, Joe's Stone Crab and Shaw's, both are part of the LEYE empire so I suspect that they get their seafood from the same suppliers.

We made reservations through Open Table for 7:30pm on a Friday night, the restaurant was jammed with people so we had to wait for about 15 minutes to get our table. Service was friendly and efficient. Like Joe's, it's a very popular restaurant but the noise level isn't so high that you can't have a conversation.

Favorite Dish: I wanted to try a little bit of several different things so we ordered the three course family style dining option (minimum two people, $43.95 per person) which started with a cup of either New England clam chowder or lobster bisque, Washington Dungeness crab, Alaskan red king crab, crabcakes, au gratin potatoes, creamed spinach, cole slaw and capped off with a generous slice of key lime pie, I suspect the type of crab offered depends on what is in season. I always order the crabcakes at Joe's and the ones at Shaw's are very similar, filled with lump crabmeat and little filler, and I love the dipping sauce. Everything else we ordered was delicious. I think it worked out to be a good deal, by the time you order all of that stuff a la carte, I think it would be a lot more. Plus it was a nice sampling of many different menu items.

So who wins the Joe's vs. Shaw's debate? I think the food is equally good at both, I really like the combo meal idea at Shaw's, I like the service a bit better at Joe's, but really you can't go wrong with either one.

Address: 21 E. Hubbard Street
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: 312-527-2722
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: Seafood

• Updated Apr 8, 2009

Dabs Lives Here!

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?