"THE GIRAFFE" Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Things to Do Tip by DAO
Africa Things to Do: 366 reviews and 1,024 photos
I came upon this family of Giraffes eating together in the Caprivi Strip. Only when you see a whole group of Giraffes (known as a tower) do you realise just how graceful they actually are. They are the tallest living land animal with males growing up to 5.5 metres (18 feet) tall and weighing up to 1,300 kilograms (3,000 pounds). Now that?s big! They also have the shortest sleep patterns of any mammal ? just 10 minutes to 2 hours a night. They drink, very carefully, huge amounts of water so that they can range over large dry areas. Males sometimes use their long necks for ?necking? which is a form of combat and can even be fatal. They can be found all across Africa, but you will rarely see more than 1 or 2 at a time. I just got lucky here.
More Things to Do in Africa (86)
More Reviews (340)
- See All Don?t Bother in Massawa
- See All Not Quite Right in Massawa, Eritrea
- See All The Flag of Burkina Faso
- See All Its Officially a Joke in Burkina Faso
- See All USEFUL IN TOGO
- See All THE STREET TAILORS
- See All KOLOBENG NATIONAL MEMORIAL - BOTSWANA
- See All A HUNDRED WAYS TO DIE
- See All THE GREATEST MARATHON RUNNER IN THE...
- See All SHONGOLOLO !
- See All SINK PLUGS
- See All FOOTBALL ? THE INTERNATIONAL SPORT
DAO's Related Pages
Have you been to Africa?Share Your Travels