"Mekong delta - Cai Be - Vinh Long" Top 5 Page for this destination Mekong Delta Tip by balhannah

Mekong Delta, Ho Chi Minh City: 76 reviews and 175 photos

• - Ho Chi Minh City
  • - Ho Chi Minh City
      making rice paper
    by balhannah
      where we had lunch on an island
      In the canals
    by balhannah

This is a long day tour.
You do not see many rice paddies, as housing stretches a long way out.

On arrival at Cai Be, a boat takes you to see the floating markets, this is why I did this tour. You arrive there so late, that it is all over, you don't see anything happening, what a disappointment!
If you want to see the markets in full swing, then I suggest an overnight stay, so you can be there early morning

We stepped ashore, and saw them making rice paper and coconut lollies, and the usual shop selling souvenirs.

Back on the boat, and across the Mekong river and up canals for our lunch on an island.
After lunch, at 2pm, we headed of again, this time being rowed in a local boat. It was very hot. A change of boats to a motorized one, across the river to our bus and back to Ho Chi Minh with a comfort stop at a nice garden.

The cost of this tour was $12, and it was a long day.
It was with Rainbow Adventure again, an excellent tour guide, and a bus with nice clean windows.

Address: Mekong Delta
Phone: (+84) 9 4854 2822
Website: http://www.mekong-delta-tours.com/en/

• Updated Dec 30, 2013

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Fully agree with you on the time to visit one of the floating markets - during my first time in south Vietnam, I stayed in the delta overnight and did a local tour which started at 7.30am. The next time I went there, the tour start was meant to be at 8am, but the bus drove around half of HCMC to pick up people from hotels, then stood in an endless traffic jam to get out of the city and eventually reached one market which was about to close. Still, the first time on the floating market was great!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Oct 22, 2014 at 1:13 PM

It would have been great staying on the Delta and seeing the markets in full swing!

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM

these barges are really loaded

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Dec 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Aren't they! I would have loved to seen the full market, now that would have been really interesting!

balhannah

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Have you been to Ho Chi Minh City?