"Road trip Across Norway & Sweden" Norway Favorite Tip by AWanderingViking

Norway General: 214 reviews and 224 photos

Favorite thing: My 2 teens and I, (their 52 yr. young mother), just spent a month in Norway and Sweden with our rental car. We enjoyed all the hostels and B&B, and hotels. Loved the hike to the waterfall above Flaam. The camping cabin was a wonderful experience.
If sleeping in hostels: family rooms are great, bring your pillow, sheets and blanket, : then buy a set of dishes, cups, flatware, & pan at a local store (your souviners!). The car ferries are worth the money. You don't have to drive the boat (avoiding hours on narrow roads). I did live in Norway over 20 years ago. Some has changed, but the best part remains. Enjoy the weather. We saw Bergen in the rain. Weather has never stopped me. It's just a great opportunity for fantastic, one-of-a-kind pictures and adventures. I LOVE driving a vehicle in Norway and Sweden. I've done it in all types of weather and seasons. Just remember, you CAN"t go fast. It's a LONG drive from Tonsberg to Stavanger. But fantastic scenery and so different from western Norway. We ate all but 3 meals (in our car, hostel, picnic,) from food we bought from local grocery stores. SO FUN to shop in them. Just remember: no USA debt cards will work in the grocery store, ; However, regular VISA credit cards work almost everywhere. Bring cash. ATM's are everywhere. We munched our way across the 2 countries visiting family and friends. Ha Det Bra!

Fondest memory: FOOD-real goat cheese, crackers; hikes & ferry boats & fresh air.
Remembering all my Norsk (language) Although most can speak English.

• Updated Apr 2, 2008

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.