"Put a little spice in your life!" New York City Off The Beaten Path Tip by Bunsch

New York City Off The Beaten Path: 997 reviews and 1,314 photos

A small part of the vast display
by Bunsch

In many of my cookbooks, there are instructions to use special purpose ingredients -- Harissa sauce, for example, or perhaps ground almond flour, or Chinese forbidden rice -- and since I never know where to find these things, those recipes languish, untried. However, I have just discovered what may be the answer to all my off-the-wall culinary needs: Kalustyan's, a purveyor of "fine specialty foods of many nations". On a recent visit, it proved almost impossible to leave without burdening myself with well more than could be carried on an airplane (even in checked baggage). How to choose amongst the forty different types of rice, fifty more types of beans and lentils, an array of grains I'd never heard of before, sauces and preserved fruits and specialty flours, more than a hundred spices, even an entire section of foreign beauty products! The homemade baba ghanoug was to die for; I'll let you know how the harissa works out.

123 Lexington Avenue, New York, NY 10016 (between 28th and 29th)

Phone: (212) 685-3451
Website: http://www.kalustyans.com

• Written Mar 31, 2008

More Off The Beaten Path in New York City (1)

Bunsch Visits Here Frequently!

“Onward and upward!”

Have you been to New York City?