"Palm Beach - 5 Stars?" Palm Beach Hotel Tip by Beligerent_Brit

Palm Beach Hotel, Famagusta: 3 reviews and 2 photos

The Palm Beach overlooks the Mediterranean and is situated close to the 'Green Zone' (no man's land between the Turkish Republic of North Cyprus and the (Greek Cypriot) Republic). While clean enough, I would say that it is in desperate need of some tender loving care. The room we stayed in was rather tired and the bathroom was more so (the water from the sink tap only came out at a trickle, for example; tiles, needed regrouting; etc). Again, everything was clean enough, but at 62 per night (approx $120) I was not very impressed. The breakfast was OK, but the orange juice was only some sort of diluted solution/powder and cooked options were pretty limited (ie, only scrambled eggs).
The dining room staff were helpful enough, but the receptionists did not exactly fall over themselves. We were met by a fairly miserable man who checked us in and that was it. It was only after we left we discovered there was a gym and a Turkish Bath - no information from reception or in the room was provided to this effect.
It's not a bad place, I just cannot see how it warrants five stars (even taking into account the often optimistic Turkish star system - you generally need to take off one star to get a decent comparison to NW European standards.) At BEST, I would suggest three stars and, thus, the price tag is very hard to justify.

Unique Qualities: There is a swimming pool. Apparently, there is a gym (never saw it) and a Turkish Bath (never found this, either.)

Address: Famagusta
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: One reviewere suggested that the Palm Beach is 5 mins walk from the old, walled town. Perhaps this is the case if you go by car. The walk, I reckon, is more like 15 minutes along busy roads.
Phone:
Price: US$80-120
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://

• Updated Mar 28, 2008

Comments

Beligerent_Brit's Related Pages

Ranked Member

Have you been to Famagusta?