Nob Hill Grille: "Good eats on Nob Hill" Nob Hill Grille Tip by Cruiseone2003

Nob Hill Grille, San Francisco: 2 reviews and 0 photos

I've seen this place for years on the corner of Hyde and Pine st, always thought it was a cute looking diner but for whatever reason I never stopped to check it out, that is is until this morning when I had to get some medical tests done across the street at St. Francis hospital. Nob Hill had just opened for breakfast at 0830, after coming off of a 13hour fast I was starving and thought this is the perfect time to finally try it out. This is your typical diner layout, most of the seats are at the counter, great for singles, several tables with chairs are along the windows and another smaller dining room is below. The Hostess who greeted me told me Nob Hill Grille is under new management, apparently her son is one of two owners. The location is residential and commercial so I would guess they get a mix of both clientele, also the prices are very reasonable for San Francisco which tells me many locals frequent this place. It is open 7 days a week and offers a Sunday Brunch too, see the website listed below for menu items and hours of business.

Favorite Dish: The food isn't your standard diner fare, they'll serve the basic eggs, sausage, bacon and coffee but then they'll have something called the Merguez and Chevre Omelette which is lamb sausage, spinach, goat cheese with home fries and toast! Since I was very hungry I opted for the Breakfast Burrito with a spiced Pork, scrambled eggs, peppers, onions, cheese, and salsa $9 and Coffee$1.50(free refills) which made for an affordable breakfast of $15 including tax and a healthy tip.
The Burrito was HUGE and served with a side of fried potatoes, it also had black beans inside of it which wasn't on the menu description but still added to the flavor. A tomato salsa and dollop of sour cream was added on top.

I'll give it a 10 for taste but since I was the 2nd customer of the morning I found the food to be warm and not hot which was surprising since the food was made just 10 feet away from me. Also, the salsa was tasty but I prefer a spicy salsa to kick it up a notch.
Would I go back again? You betcha!

This would be a great place for tourists staying in the local hotels, locals and people working in the area.

Address: 969 Hyde st
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Corner of Hyde @ Pine st's, one block from California st (Cable Car) in Nob Hill. Cash, Visa, Mastercard and Discover accepted but not Amex (shame really)
Phone: 415 474 5985
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Diner

• Written Mar 27, 2008

Cruiseone2003 Lives Here!

“A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles (Tim Cahill)”

Have you been to San Francisco?