Tratoreria la torre: "THe best osso buco" Siena Restaurant Tip by edwsa

Siena Restaurants: 82 reviews and 121 photos

Ok, we just got back from Italy and you must, must, eat at this place I'm about to suggest in Siena. First off let me tell you a bit about myself just to give you an idea of what my standards are. I live in Los Angeles and eat out at expensive restaurants quite a bit. However, no amount of celebrity or world renound chefs can honestly compare to "Tratorreria La Torre" (I'm sure my spelling is incorrect). It's located near the main square in a small side alley. Ask the locals where it is for there is nothing but a small sign indicating its existence. Even once you find the sign you will second guess yourself because the door is hidden by those hanging bead types of things. It's as if the locals don't really want you to find the place. The only reason we found it was because we gave our tour guide a hefty tip and asked her where the locals eat. A good rule of thumb in any foreign country restaurant is if the tourists outnumber the locals, walk out. This definitely wasn't the case with this restaurant. We were the only tourist in there. The restaurant is tiny, approximately the size of a small living room, including the kitchen which is all visible. There was only one waiter who spoke only Italian, and two cooks. In addition to this, there was no menu. The waiter simply told you your options for the day. If I had to guess just by their interactions, I'd guess the waiter was grandpa, and the cooks were husband and wife. All the ingredients were laid out on what appeared a kitchen table.

Now for the food. We had pasta as our first course. It was light and extremely delicious. For the main dish we had the osso buco. First let me tell you, I am not religious, but I swear the first bite I took made me feel like I had seen the light. This was by far the best food I had ever eaten. Never mind Mortons or the Ivy here in LA. Just thinking about it now makes me want to go back to Siena just to eat here again. The meat simply dissolved in your mouth and the sauce was amazing. The house wine was delicious, we drank a whole bottle and we usually don't like wine. The home made tiramisu was creamy and delightful.

Seriously, if you go here, can you please, please bring me back some osso buco. Warning, if you eat here you will never be able to enjoy food from other places the same again.

Favorite Dish: Osso Buco

Address: near the main square on a side alley
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$31-40